I kneel on the floor and put my hand on Lydia's shoulder. She assures me again she's fine. As I look into her eyes she begins to cry. Hugging her I ask her again , what happened. With tears running down her bruised cheek she tells me plainly. "Frank, did it. He robbed the church, I wasn't sure if he would really do it but he did, didn't he?" I nod sadly " Well someone did." "She wipes her face with her wrist revealing that it too is bruised. Lydia , the robbery isn't as serious as the state you're in. He beat you like this?" She nods"...Why?"She begins to cry even more, I start to tear up too, I can feel that her spirit is just broken ,crushed." He's always had a drinking problem, and I've always been kind of ashamed...never wanted anybody to know. He's been really down lately, he lost his job six months back and he's just been in a real bad way. Nothing I say helps, I tried to get him to go to counseling but....Last night he got really depressed. He said he was leaving. He's said that before. I didn't want him to go but he wouldn't listen.This morning he came home drunk, he was so drunk he wasn't in his right mind at all, told me he was going to rob the church. At first I didn't believe him, But then he got angry. I didn't know what he would do. I didn't want to, but I was so scared, I called the police. When he found out he.. smashed my phone and... I guess you saw the place.... he's never been that bad." She looks down, her dark eyes swollen from crying and the blow to her face. " "You mean he's done this before...?" I don't want to press her but I feel it's important. "Not this bad but yes." I just can't believe it, I feel so ashamed of myself that I never knew, that I live such a pleasant ignorant life.To brush shoulders with someone every week and not see what was really happening. "I am so sorry Lydia, do you know where he might be now?" Suddenly there's a loud knock on the front door. Lydia looks at me like a scared little girl. I find I too am afraid, wondering if it might be Frank. Then I remember Mark and the Captain. " Everything is going to be o.k, I think it's the police, I'll be right back."She begins to cry silently. I smile weakly. I can't believe the cruelty...it's horrible. As I stand to go to the door a sharp pain shoots through my ankle. "Ouch...I scraped that pretty good."
No comments:
Post a Comment