Friday, May 11, 2012

The Part Post the Last Part

It's about eight thirty and I'm snuggled on the couch with the Bronx. I have a cup of tea and my water colors out. I intend to paint "Barton Cottage" because I've just tuned in to the latest PBS Jane Austen movie. This is the second half of Sense and Sensibility and even though I've read the book three times I am still in suspense. Will Mary Ann ever really be happy?! Will dear Edward call off his secret engagement to the annoying Lucy Steel?! The theme music begins to play, I always get goose bumps, and then my phone rings. No not now!! I see it's my Dad calling again, oops, I forgot to listen to his message. Blast I'm going to miss part of the show. "Oh well." I pick up,"Hello." "Hey honey,how are you?" His booming voice makes me smile. "I'm fine Daddy, how are you?" "I'm doing well, Rhonda is keeping me busy."I'm glad he cant see me roll my eyes," How is Rhonda?" I ask about my Dad's girlfriend." She's great, she's always great. Working real hard volunteering at the hospital you know." I know, it seems like all Dad does these days is whatever Rhonda wants. "Is she working at a desk or...?" I wonder. "No, she's raisng awareness and funds for the new wing they plan to add on in the next two years or so." " Oh , I see, well that's nice." Rhonda has been my Dad's girlfriend for the past two years and before her it was Debbie. Rhonda is a wealthy, very socially active, community oriented woman. She is attractive and flattering and she has my Dad wrapped around her little finger. It bugs me. I hate to admit it but I guess I'm a little jealous. After my Mom passed away four years ago I thought my Dad would get involved in community stuff. Which he has ,just not in the way I would have thought. I guess it's kind of natural for me to feel this way but I don't like it. " So, how's business?" he asks, very interested having been quite the business man before he retired. " Oh, it's going good , I have a pretty steady clientel and you know I love what I do." " Well that's terrific sweet heart." I always miss him when he calls me that! I look up at the t.v and see that Willabee has totally dissed Mary Ann. My blood boils,"that scoundrel." I say out loud not meaning to." what?" my Dad asks. " Oh nothing, sorry. Are you going to come see me soon?" I ask but know the answer already. "Well, you know I'de love to, but I'm helping Rhonda all this month with these fundraisers."his voice quiets. " oh, ok I understand." I say, hurt again but not showing it. anytime I ask him too come visit its always the same, I'de love to but ___________with Rhonda. It's always because of her. "Hey, but we'll see you for Thanksgiving right?" he tries to change the subject. "Yeah, that'll be great Dad." I'm trying to sound excited. "Rhonda went ahead and made our reservation for "PaigeHouse", you know that beautiful resteraunt on 12th Street?" " Yes, I know what you're talking about." Now I'm really upset. Mom used to always make a home cooked Thanksgiving meal, turkey and all the trimmings, now we'll probably be eating salmon and steak. This is terrible. I miss Mom. I resent Rhonda. "Well, I better let you go,I'll talk to you later sweetie." " "Bye Daddy, love you." "Love you to." Click. My Dad and Rhonda live together which I dont agree with. It makes for lots of really akward situations. It's gotten to the point where I really dont even like to visit them. Sometimes I leave early because it hurts me to see many of my mother's things replaced with Rhonda's. My Dad and I have alot in common but we also disagree about alot. Particularly our faith. It makes things really difficult. I try not to think about it too much but find myself cying right along with Mary Ann on the t.v screen. Bronx puts is head in my lap. Man's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment