Thursday, January 10, 2013

I wait a while for my last book club member , Lydia. She's really late by now so I proceed figuring the weather may have deterred her.The book club is going smoothly as the rain continues to pour down and the wind begins to pick up even more. I notice that Martin is distracted looking out the window every now and again. "Is something wrong?" I finally ask. Still looking out the window he answers me,"There's a bunch of police cars heading towards the church." Now we're all curious and head to the windows to look out. Sure enough there in front of the church are three police cars. In my mind I begin to think of a million possible reasons for this scene. In this crazy October monsoon we can barely see, but can make out officers in rain coats scampering into the church. Now our whole group is discussing not the last chapter of our book , but rather, what on earth is going on in sleepy Canter Falls?

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Has the pastor run off with the offering?!?
    Been found (in one of his infrequent binges) tanked in the baptistry?
    Fell off a ladder trying to paint a fresco on sanctuary ceiling?!?
    The mind reels with the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goody, I hadn't thought of his infrequent drinking problem but now that you mention it , the plot thickens!!

    ReplyDelete